Saturday, August 22, 2009

A New Yorker Day

I'm wrapping up my first week in the city. It seems like I never left the place. Today we finally got around to making our apartment defense ready. We purchased both attack and defense mechanisms against our new nemesis: the roach. We've only seen one, and since we live on the sixth floor they'll be few and far between, but we don't mess around. Those bugs are done if they step on my turf. The war has begun. I also got around to buying a lock for my window bar. Just in case anyone finds me so memorizing that they must climb the six floor fire escape to come get me.

I ran along the East River today, and I'm not sure if I was more excited about the fact that I ran mostly pain free for the first time in what seems like a very long while, or if I was more excited about the great view and amazing weather. It's hard to believe i'm lucky enough to live just ten minutes away from that beautiful stretch of land. It's great.

The soccer team seems to be shaping up nicely. We have a good new batch of kids coming in this year and they seem good both technically and personality wise. I think we're going to have a great team. We had lunch together today, and the team seems really comfortable already, which is a great thing. The NYU soccer team always seems to defy what used to be a normalcy for me. It seems like every soccer tema I've played on until college had the cattish cliques, and for once (and for the past two years) the team has meshed well. I'm excited that it will continue.

I was hoping to get to go to Redeemer for the first time tomorrow, but it looks like we'll once again have soccer. Hopefully next week will be my first opportunity to go since right now we're scheduled to have the day off. I'll keep everyone posted on the search for a new church home. For now i'll stick with the ever-challenging Dr. McArthur...he keeps me on my toes (as long as I'm smart enough to pay attention!)

We made it uptown for the first time in a while today. I really love it up there. Central park is my favorite part of Manhattan, and its just blocks away from the greatest ice-cream place EVER. Serendipity. I tried the frozen hot chocolate tonight and was far from dissapointed. I'm so full I could burst. I better get back to running soon.

Tomorrow holds two practices (hopefully some of which I can participate in) and Monday I'll hopefully have a chance to get into the financial aid office before we leave for PDA- i'm in desperate need of a budget expansion...

More to come- including pictures of the new place (hopefully soon to be decorated).

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment