Tuesday, August 18, 2009

First NYC storm

My first New York City storm in my first apartment is raining down outside as I write in my first own room ever. A lot of firsts for this third-year NYC resident. And I can't help but thinking...how am I a NYC resident? How is it that I'm sitting here as an almost twenty-one year old in my first apartment, halfway across the country from where I began, in a city a world apart from the one I know and love?

I spent the summer studying Esther with some of the greatest girls the DFW metroplex boasts. We met every monday and I have to say it was one of the best studies I've ever done. Beth Moore is brilliant, wise, and beautiful. She made me laugh every week and taught me a little more about God and myself each time. The overarching theme of the study was providence, which, as I sit here contemplating just how I ended up in this crazy city, rings true to my ears.

God controls this beautiful mechanism that is our world. Each part of it. So even the times when I think i've "messed up" God's in control . It's like this crazy puzzle that none of us can figure out, yet God has already preordained. He knows where I've come from and where I'm going. He has this fascinating life planned for each of us, should we be up for the challenge. And, having moved myself about the country, and gotten myself into more debacles than any one person should, I rest assured that my God has control over every aspect of my life.

My first few days back in the city have been anything but boring. The city has a certain air about it (and certainly distinct smells). Coming back to my soccer team has been fantastic (though I can't play for a week due to a back injury) and I feel like our team is closer this year than any previous year. We definitely have some great recruits coming in as well, so watch out for NYU soccer this fall-we'll be a force to be reckoned with.

My new best friend is craig's list. I found a kitchen table for FREE and we're picking it up thursday night. How great is that? Combined with Marie and I's new hobby of walking up and down streets and picking bits of furniture out of what would be in another state-trash- taking tips from homeless people along the way, our apartment shoud be homy and decorated very soon.

The last few days have consisted of moving in and meetings with soccer, so not too much to boast of yet, but the Washington Square park is revamped with a flashy new fountain- so expect some stories to be coming in soon.

For now, i'm off to watch some lightning and dig into John McArthur's stunningly challenging book "Hard to Believe".

Katie

1 comment:

  1. Great post.. maybe we all will begin again? I love New York stories, so keep the coming! Oh and pictures would be good too =)

    ReplyDelete